Saturday, June 28, 2008

R&N - 06/28/08 - OnSmash Saturday Pt. 1

I just had to type the words "glued cat" into one of those squiggly verification boxes. I laughed.

Good evening all. First post here too, so I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm 23, a broadcast journalism major at University of Houston, and I worked with AB a couple of years ago. Man, that long?
Seeing as this IS a music blog and all, I suppose I should mention that I run the gamut. From The Beatles to Sufjan Stevens to Souls of Mischief, my tastes in music change week by week.
I also am the guy who uploaded all the Slowreader b-sides to myspace.
Saying that I like everything, however, is a bit of a cop out. When i'm in the mood for hip hop, I listen to hip hop and only hip hop. I'm an extreme case; I once listened to the same song on repeat while driving from just north of Dallas to Houston (it was "Red Dust" by Zero 7, by the way). I've listened to Air's "La Femme D'Argent" over 5000 times, almost 25 days.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make with all this is that I tend to be a bit unpredictable. But it's campaign season now! Attack ads fly, and support ads spin. But what happened to campaign songs? Well, thanks to incumbent Texas Senator John Cornyn, they're still around. Only, well...


The Daily Show, CNN, and even his opponent, Rick Noriega, have been making fun of Big Bad John. But at least he's trying. After seeing Cornyn's ad, I searched for campaign ad songs. Lo and behold my surprise when it turned out Nixon, of all people, had the best "new" song I'd heard all week:


Today, they're all attack ads. But this, this took wooden and laconic Nixon and made him seem lovable. He's smiling. He's making friends with Mao Zedong and Leonid Brezhnev. And he also seems to be a butterfly. Nixon Now was the first time a presidential candidate so completely embraced television commercials, and he did it with an extremely catchy song.

But it's not all Nixon. Here's two more campaign songs for y'all:




Next time? Who knows. I'll try to have something interesting. Or ridiculous.
For the record, this one was ridiculous.

No comments: