Friday, April 18, 2008

R&N - 04/18/08 - FLASHBACK FRIDAY

FLASHBACK SOUTHERN CITY TOUR - HOUSTON

Whats going people, it's your boy DT and I'm back again with another edition of Flashback Friday. We're continuing the next stop of the Southern City Tour in H-Town. Today I'm showcasing the tracks that put Texas on the map before Mike Jones and The Swishahouse. [Of course I have nothing against the SwishaHouse members, I'll spotlight them at a later date.] The music coming out of Texas had more of a blues style to it back in the day, with a lot of church organs and bass guitars. It was a differnt sound that we had all to ourselves, and we liked it like that. They're were so many artists that I wanted to post, but I had to cut it off somewhere. So lets get into the music!!!





SCARFACE AND THE GETO BOYSMY MIND'S PLAYING TRICKS ON ME (1989)


This is the track that made people take a serious look at the rap culture in Texas




THE UNDERGROUND KINGS [RIP PIMP C]

IT'S SUPPOSE TO BUBBLE (1993) & ONE DAY (1996)




Easily my favorite rap group of all time. Nearly every track in they're catalog is timeless. Super Tight came out in '94 and that CD still jams to this day. Ridin Dirty was the CD that put the group in the legendary category and that was back in '96, but it wasn't until 2007 that the group had a number one album.


FAT PAT [R.I.P.]


TOPS DROP (1998)


MAAN !!! This track still goes hard. I miss the old Texas sound. Fat Pat was another H-Town artist that died before his time.



LIL TROY



WANNA BE A BALLER (1998)


I just remember bangin this song as loud as I could back in middle school.


LIL FLIP


THE WAY WE BALL (2002)

This track was Huge when it came out. Flip went platinum off of this one single alone. This track ushered in a new phase for Houston Hip Hop.

Bonus: DJ SCREW & THE SCREWED UP CLICK

See you next week in New Orleans.

DPT

No comments: